Methanol is the simplest alcohol, and is a light, volatile, colorless, flammable liquid with a distinctive odor very similar to that of ethanol (drinking alcohol). However, unlike ethanol, methanol is highly toxic and unfit for consumption. At room temperature, it is a polar liquid, and is used as an antifreeze, solvent, fuel, and as a denaturant for ethanol. It is also used for producing biodiesel via transesterification reaction.
Visit these links to learn more:
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
International Chemical Safety Card—Methanol
Centers for Disease Control
METHANOL : Systemic Agent
U.S. National Library of Medicine
Methanol: Toxicology Data Network